The Beacon School SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
Each year, The Beacon School considers applicants to a scholarship program that will cover tuition costs for Grades 6, 7 and 8.
1. Academic Merit
The candidate must demonstrate academic ability and, more importantly, an ability for critical and creative thought. The candidate must be able to express herself/himself orally, and in writing. The candidate must display intellectual curiosity, and a wide range of interests and abilities. Candidates should demonstrate:
- ACER (OPI) scores above 80th percentile
- School records which indicate the candidate is academically in the top 10% of the current school
- Ability to think creatively and critically, solve problems, etc.
- Ability to write an essay on an assigned topic. This would be done at the Beacon School, at the time of testing
In addition, a recommendation, from the teacher at the current school who spends most time with the candidate, is required.
2. Financial Need
The family of the candidate needs to demonstrate need for financial assistance, but must be able to show ability to meet other financial responsibilities associated with having a child at school. Candidate’s parents will need to submit:
- Current Income Tax Return
- Completed data form, supplied by school
3. Potential Contribution to The Beacon School Community
The candidate must demonstrate an ability to take on a leadership role at Beacon. The candidate must display evidence of responsible citizenship. This may include involvement in extracurricular activities, such as sports, clubs, the arts etc. An aptitude test may be given to each shortlisted candidate.
Scholarship PROCESS and GUIDELINES
- Scholarship opportunities will be advertised, initially through The Beacon School community, and then, if necessary, on a wider basis.
- Applications, including a resume, will be received and, if necessary, shortlisted by the Scholarship Committee.
- Recipients of a scholarship must hold Filipino citizenship
- Siblings of current and past scholars are eligible for a scholarship
- Candidates may be accepted from overseas, but all required testing, interviews, pre-entry visit, must be accomplished at The Beacon School
- All candidates will be required to complete selected standardized tests from the OPI tests provided by the A.C.E.R. Testing will be administered by a Guidance Counselor.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to have a one day “pre-entry visit” in a Grade 5 classroom.
- Shortlisted candidates must successfully undergo an interview with the Scholarship Committee. At the interview the candidate will demonstrate a) ability to assume a leadership role at the school, and b) qualities of a responsible citizen.
- Candidates may sit an aptitude test.
- The awarding of a scholarship covers tuition fees each year, the Capital Development Fund levy, and the Matriculation fee. All other school expenses must be borne by the scholar’s family
- Parents must successfully undergo an interview with the Scholarship Committee at which time they will a) demonstrate an alignment of their parenting philosophy with the philosophy of the school, and b) demonstrate an ability to support and extend learning in the home. In addition, the committee will look for evidence of the parents’ community involvement and citizenship.
- Parents are required to be involved in at least 1 activity in the school year, in any of the following areas: Sports, Arts, Library committee, Fundraising, Yearbook
- Candidates must enhance the class profile; i.e. gender ratio, special talents, etc.
- To maintain a scholarship from year to year, a scholar must achieve grades of not less than 5 in all subjects. Should a scholar receive a grade of less than 5 in any subject, then the scholarship may be rescinded, at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee
- Recipients of a scholarship are required to commit to three years in the school, i.e. complete the Grades 6, 7 and 8 school years
The document is in Portable Document Format (PDF) files for reliable presentation of the documents in any platform. To view and print the document, please download and use Acrobat Reader